Monday, October 27, 2014

HATS HATS HATS ('tis the season)

....and now I'm in Holiday Mode.   I am turning to my annual  hat-knitting and hat-crocheting binge, which typically yields a couple of dozen hats, to be deposited in the shop when I'm all done, probably by about November 10.  It's wonderful fun.  I gather up my 16-inch circular needles in an array of sizes beginning with about size 9, ending with 15 -- some double-points -- and piles of yarn of many descriptions, usually stray balls.   I love combining strands -- right now, I'm knitting a strand of variegated Liberty Wool with another, thicker variegated wool, both of which share orange and not much else.  The fabric is wonderful -- size 11 for some 3/3 ribbing, then some expansion (bigger needle, 6 additional stitches) and I'll go until I think it's done.  Made two other hats earlier today, one with an I-cord pigtail, from a skein of Gina Chunky, another one from a very old ball of Aracaunia Lamari, which is a lot like knitting with woolen clothes line.  But the result is surprisingly attractive.  Has a simple stockinette roll at the edge, then several rounds of seed, which form HUGE surface bumps, and the rest a simple cloche.  On Friday, I'll go raid the yarn room in the basement -- gather up a couple of dozen stray balls of different textures and colors and haul them all to the shop so that I can keep it up on Saturday and Sunday.  I also want to make a couple of side-to-side crochet hats of multiple yarns with loose fringe tops.   If anyone wants to make hats, I'll be there in the afternoon both days! Bring baskets of wool.     svb

No comments:

Post a Comment